Whats is Tourism about?
Over 200 million people work in the Travel and Tourism industry worldwide. Tourism is the activities of people traveling to and staying in places outside their usual environment for leisure, business or other purposes for not more than one consecutive year.
There‘s a wide variety of roles or job opportunities in the Tourism field which range from: Travel agents, Tour Operators, Hotel managers, Air Hostesses, Transportation, Events Organisers, etc.
What skills and abilities are required in the Tourism industry?
- Active Listening (Giving full attention to what other people say and taking time to understand the points being made);
- Time Management (Must be able to manage their own time and the time of others effectively);
- Have the ability to speak good English (Talk to others to convey information effectively);
- Good communication skills are needed in order to communicate with different kinds of people. Imagine how especially important communication skills are for roles which involve contact with guests and clients; and
- Team working skills are also very important. With so many different departments and different employees working in a hotel, teamwork is essential for providing a quality service to hotel guests.
Does tourism jobs involve travelling?
When you think of tourism you may immediately think of cruise ships sailing the seas or air hostesses serving customers on airlines. But in reality many jobs in this industry are based in one area or location. Consider working in a travel agency for example, or in a hotel.
With so many different departments and different employees working in a hotel, teamwork is essential for providing a quality service to hotel guests.