WHAT SKILLS & ABILITIES MUST I HAVE TO PURSUE IN A CAREER IN CIVIL ENGINEERING?
- Good analytical skills are a must for any Civil Engineer. Civil Engineers have to read and interpret many drawings, complex charts, diagrams, maps and reports;
- Good communication skills. Civil Engineers need to correspond with a wide array of individuals throughout their profession from construction workers to CEOs of large corporations;
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities. The role of a Civil Engineer is not an easy one. There will be problems that arise from time to time which the Civil Engineer will be responsible for solving problems; and
- Advanced skills in Mathematics, including Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus and Statistics are crucial to become a Civil Engineer, who must apply the appropriate mathematical formulas and principles in his design work as well as to problem-solving.
What are the working conditions of a Civil Engineer?
Civil Engineers generally work indoors in offices. However, many spend time outdoors at construction sites so they can monitor operations or solve problems onsite.
If I want to become a Civil Engineer, what do I do before leaving school?
- Visit Civil Engineering companies to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails
- Go for an aptitude test to determine if you have the ability to become a Civil Engineer.
- Visit or contact Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Colleges to enquire about the entrance requirements to do Civil Engineering courses.
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with Technical Colleges and obtain application forms.
Good analytical skills are a must for any Civil Engineer. Civil Engineers have to read and interpret many drawings, complex charts, diagrams, maps and reports.